TSC Requirements for Promotion to DEPUTY HEAD TEACHER I T-SCALE 10 – Primary School
DEPUTY HEAD TEACHER I T-SCALE 10
This is a promotional grade for institutional administrators in primary schools. The Deputy Head Teacher I will report to the Head Teacher. He/she will be required to have knowledge on the development and implementation of the curriculum, education policies and programmes.
Promotion to this grade will be competitive and subject to availability of vacancies in the establishment.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT
To qualify for appointment to the grade of Deputy Head Teacher I, a teacher must:-
1. Have served as Deputy Head Teacher II T-Scale 9 for a minimum period of three (3) years.
2. Have a valid Teaching Certificate.
3. Have successfully undertaken the relevant (TPD) modules.
4. Have satisfactory rating in the performance appraisal process.
5. Demonstrate ability to supervise, mentor and provide professional support to other teachers.
6. Meet the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution.
7. Meet any other requirement the Commission may deem necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF DEPUTY HEAD TEACHER I T-SCALE-10
The duties and responsibilities of Deputy Head Teacher II and I shall be to:-
1. Coordinate and provide guidance and counseling services to the teachers, nonteaching staff and learners to instill norms and values for harmonious coexistence.
2. Ensure proper discipline is maintained in the school by the teachers, non-teaching staff and learners to create a conducive environment for learning.
3. Supervise the interpretation and implementation of the curriculum by ensuring schemes of work and lesson plans are done by teachers.
4. Ensure internal examinations and assessments are carried out.
5. Ensure implementation of scheduled instructional programmes.
6. Ensure that the necessary instructional materials are sourced, availed and utilised by the teachers and learners to support curriculum implementation.
7. In charge of stores requisition and maintenance of proper inventory for accountability and optimum utilization.
8. Supervise teaching and non-teaching staff for proper discharge of tuition programmes.
9. Organize and supervise school activities including maintenance of cleanliness and general repairs of buildings.
10. Secretary to the staff meetings and maintain records of the proceedings.
11. Maintain staff and learners’ records such as learners’ registers, staff attendance, leave management forms and learners’ discipline cases.
12. Appraise the Senior Teacher and other teachers.
13. Assist the head teacher in promoting harmonious relations and linkages between the school and stakeholders such as the local community, parents and private sector organisations.
14. Ensure safety and security of learners and institutional resources.
15. Prepare lesson plans, lesson notes, timetables, schemes of work and maintain academic standards in the school to ensure that the syllabus is covered in time for evaluation.
16. Teach the subjects of specialization to impart knowledge, skills and attitudes to the learners.
17. Evaluate learners in subjects of specialisation and prepare them for national and other examinations.
18. Introduce new ideas and programmes to ensure improvement in teaching and learning in the subjects of specialisation.
19. Embrace teamwork through collaborative planning and teaching to ensure consistency and improvement in curriculum deliver.
20. Serve as a role model and maintain learner discipline to create a conducive environment for learning.
21. Provide guidance and counseling services to the learners to instill norms and values for harmonious co-existence.
22. Participate in curriculum development process, its implementation and evaluation to ensure the curriculum is relevant and achievable in schools.
23. Interpret the curriculum in all subjects to ensure effective teaching and learning;
24. Organize workshops/seminars/symposiums to share ideas and further knowledge in subject areas.
25. Engage learners in curricular and co-curricular activities so as to identify, nurture and develop talents.
26. Organize remedial actions to support learners with performance gaps.
Any other assigned as may be assigned.