TSC Requirements for Promotion to SENIOR TEACHER I – T-SCALE 8 – Primary School
SENIOR TEACHER I – T-SCALE 8
This is a promotional grade for institutional administrators in Primary Schools. Promotion to this grade will be competitive and subject to availability of vacancies in the establishment.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT
For appointment to the grade of Senior Teacher I, a teacher must:-
1. Have served as Senior Teacher II T- Scale 7 for a minimum period of three (3) years;
2. Have satisfactory rating in the performance appraisal process.
3. Have successfully undertaken the relevant TPD modules.
4. Demonstrate ability to supervise, mentor and provide professional support to other teachers.
5. Have a valid Teaching Certificate.
6. Meet the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution.
7. Meet any other requirement the Commission may deem necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties of a teacher at this level shall be to:-
1. Prepare lesson plans, lesson notes, timetables, schemes of work and maintain academic standards in the school to ensure that the syllabus is covered in time for evaluation.
2. Teach subjects of specialization to impart knowledge, skills and attitudes to learners;
3. Evaluate learners in subjects of specialization and prepare them for national and other examinations.
4. Introduce new ideas and programmes for improvement in teaching and learning in subjects of specialisation.
5. Collect, collate and maintain all school records such as enrolment, teaching and learning resources, evaluation records and attendance registers.
6. Organize and coordinate school based in-service programmes to upgrade teacher’s knowledge and skills for improved teaching and learning.
7. Organize school based and zonal subject panels to facilitate sharing of knowledge, innovations and new trends.
8. Coordinate gender mainstreaming issues for teachers and learners in curricular and co-curricular activities such as sports to ensure gender equity, equitable participation and maximization of potential of teachers and learners.
9. Ensure discipline in school is maintained and arbitrate any disputes.
10. Supervise cleanliness of the school compound and ensure the learners are tidy.
11. Serve as secretary to the school disciplinary committee.
12. Embrace teamwork through collaborative planning and teaching to ensure consistency and improvement in curriculum delivery.
13. Serve as a role model and maintain learner discipline to create conducive environment for learning.
14. Provide guidance and counseling services to the learners and instill norms and values for harmonious co-existence.
15. Initiate curriculum development process, its implementation and evaluation to ensure it is relevant and achievable in schools.
16. Interpret the curriculum in all subjects to ensure effective teaching and learning; organise workshops/seminars/symposiums to share ideas and further knowledge in subject areas.
17. Engage learners in curricular and co-curricular activities so as to identify, nurture and develop talents.
18. Organize remedial actions to support learners with performance gaps.
Any other duty as assigned as per TSC Code of Regulations